A supply duct piece at 7.2mtr height was to be erected above the installed fire duct at 6.3mtr height. The supply duct was raised using suitable height scissor lift up to the location and bottom two bolts were fastened with the existing duct.
Nature of Accident: Person fall from height
Date & Time of Incident: 29 August, 2009 at about 03:30 PM
Details of the Project:
Category of Accident: Loss Time Injury
Nature of Injury: Fracture on both hand, two teeth broken and cut injury on chin.
Name of the injured person: NA
Nature of the work: working on HVAC Duct at height
Describe briefly how the incident occurred (Add sketches): A supply duct piece at 7.2mtr height was to be erected above the installed fire duct at 6.3mtr height. The supply duct was raised using suitable height scissor lift up to the location and bottom two bolts were fastened with the existing duct. The top two bolts were inapproachable due to fire ducts on its way. To fasten the top two bolts, Mr. Wasim & his colleague sat on fire duct and Mr. Wasim fastened his safety belt in support of fire duct & his colleague fastened his belt in cable tray. In mean time anchor fastener of one support rod came out from roof making the fire duct unstable. Due to this additional load on other rod, the rod slipped from connector causing seven pieces of erected fire duct with Mr. Wasim to fell down on ground wherein he got multiple injuries & his colleague was narrowly saved due to hanging by safety harness belt. Immediately victim was sent to first- aid centre.
Causes of the accident
Immediate Causes: 1. Anchor fastener came out from roof.
- People sit on installed fire duct.
- No proper platform provided for landing.
.Root Cause: 1. Resources not available for the landing of workmen to install the duct;
2.A good supervision was not observed;
- Poor planning of the plateform;
- Anchors fastener load test was not carried out;
- Random inspection shall be conducted;
- PTW system shall be followed up for work at height.
What are the preventive measures taken to control similar occurrence?
- Nobody should be allowed on erected duct piece.
- Anchor fastener pull out test shall be conducted.
- In such cases below duct the piece should be removed to create a proper passage up to installation location.
- Follow height work permit system
- A competent supervisor shall supervise the work.
- Ensure work plateform is inspected
- Check and ensure that workmen are competent to work on height.