What is policy?
A plan of action which is adopted by an organization to achieve its objectives, goals and commitments.
How policy give target to HSE management system?
A Health, Safety and Environment policy is a written statement by an employer stating the company’s commitment for the protection of the health and safety of employees and to the public. It is an endorsed commitment by management to its employees regarding their health and safety.
Why policy is very most important document?
A health and safety program contains the health and safety elements of an organization, objectives which make it possible for the company to achieve its goal in the protection of its workers at the workplace.
Why? When policy needs to review?
In addition, a review is required to be undertaken whenever there is a change of circumstances that may affect the health and safety of workers, or where an officer makes such a request. The review of the program should be done in consultation with the occupational health and safety committee.
The legislation stipulates that the health and safety policy is to be reviewed and revised at least every three years or annually and when required.
Who is authorized person to sign the policy and review it?
Director/ General Manager or top person of the organization are authorized to sign and review the policy.
What is basic criteria to make policy?
The employer, in consultation with workers and their representatives, should set out in writing a HSE policy, which should be: –
- Specific to the organization and appropriate to each size and the nature of its activities;
- Concise, clearly written, dated and made effective by the signature or endorsement of the employer or the most senior accountable person in the organization;
- Communicate and readily accessible to all persons at their place of work;
- Reviewed for continuing suitability; and
- Made available to relevant external interested parties, as appropriate.
What are objectives of Policy?
- To ensure that the day to day operations of the department for which he/ she is responsible are carried out with full regard to and application of good health safety and environmental practice;
- To ensure that all statements of actions fully meet the criteria which is set out in health and safety policy.